Welcome to the website of the Hungarian Society for the History of Pharmacy
The Hungarian Society for the History of Pharmacy was formed on 11 April 2002. Its purpose is to focus on the development of all areas in the History of Pharmacy, from the works of the ancient apothecary to today’s ever changing role of the pharmacist in retail community service, as well as in wholesale and industrial settings.
Our aims include:
- Promotion of historical studies related to Hungarian pharmacy, the pharmaceutical industry and to pharmaceutical wholesaling.
- Advancement of knowledge and promoting understanding of the History of Pharmacy.
- Publication and popularization of research work by pharmaceutical historians at home and abroad.
- Research into and maintenance of the values and traditions of Hungarian pharmacy.
- Supporting the work of our fellow organizations at home and abroad.
Our on-line knowledge database
Our website functions as an on-line knowledge database of the History of Hungarian Pharmacy, which contains contents that be searched and downloaded, including the following:
- More than 100 Hungarian books of historical interest from 1745 to the present.
- 103 Hungarian pharmaceutical yearbooks, pocket calendars and almanacs, from 1861 to 1990.
- More than 1400 Hungarian scientific articles on the History of Pharmacy from the last 6 decades – which include about 85-90% of the total estimated number of all Hungarian articles on the History of Pharmacy during this period of time.
- 48 Hungarian doctoral theses on the History of Pharmacy, or related historical interest,
- An on-line index of more than 300 biographies of outstanding Hungarian pharmacists.
The search function is powered by a built-in Google search engine.
If we can be of service, please do not hesitate to contact us:
gyogyszeresztort (dot) tarsasag (at) gmail (dot) com
With our kindest regards,
The Hungarian Society for the History of Pharmacy